Every parent wants the best for their children. They want the children to grow and become the best version of themselves. But, all this starts with the habits you teach them. So, it is important to start early and instill these good habits in your children which they will carry with them throughout their lives.
- Healthy Lifestyle: This is the first thing the parents much encourage their children to follow. This can start as soon as you wean your baby from breastfeeding by starting with vegetable purees, avoiding introducing children to extra sugar and fried food and sticking to healthier alternatives. Starting early will not only acquaint baby’s taste buds to healthy food but will also make it a lifestyle as he grows, thus helping him in the long run. A healthy lifestyle includes eating fruits and vegetables, drinking water and being active in outdoor games and activities. This will ensure that kids do not turn into a lazy couch potato and will be healthier, fitter and more agile. An active and healthy lifestyle is important for the child’s well-being in the long run.
- Instill Habit of Reading: Sir Richard Steele once said and I quote, “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” Reading opens up the mind of children, boosts their imagination and broadens their horizon. It is important to teach the importance of reading to kids as it makes them more receptive to the world around them. It is advised that you make reading a part of your child’s playtime or bedtime routine. It can start as early as five months when they can see black and white and notice bright colors and it will help them to start speaking soon. Reading is not only a good way of learning new things but it also decreases child’s dependency on gadgets such as phone, tablet laptop and television for entertainment.
- Basic Hygiene: There are a few things such as brushing your teeth twice, washing your hands before and after meals, etc. which should be developed in the children since the beginning as it then turns into a habit that they will follow throughout their life. Being Hygienic is vital in a child’s growth and development.
- Be Kind: It is important to teach kids to be empathetic, helpful and generous. It is good to teach kids easy ways they can touch other people’s lives. This includes being kind towards humans, animals and environment. Being kind teaches kids to be compassionate and teaches them to be thankful for what they have in their lives.
- Money Management: Teaching kids to be responsible with money is extremely important as it teaches them the value of money. It also teaches them to understand the difference between wants and needs in life. It makes them realize the hard work the parents put in to earn money and fulfill their needs.
- Value Education: Kids don’t necessarily like school or the idea of doing their homework. But it is important to teach them the value of learning and education. It is important to make them realize how valuable education is to become a successful and responsible human being.
- Table Manners: Having bad table manners are insulting not just for people around but also for the food that has been prepared and offered to them. When child knows table manners, they minimize their chance of offending and maximizes the chance of impressing in social situations. This starts as early as 6 months when children are made to sit on the high chair. As they sit on the high chair and see people around them eating on plate with spoon, they will also pick up similar habits. This will also discipline them and avoid them being turned into fussy eaters.
- Being Polite: Basic things such as being respectful towards other and importance of words thank you, please and sorry should be taught to kids from the beginning. Not only are these a mark of good upbringing but also earns the child love and respect from those around him.
- Standing up for Themselves: It is important to teach kids to stand up for themselves, speak their mind and lead the way, in case a situation arises where their parents are not there to guide, protect or defend them. It will make them independent and confident.
- Being You: In a world which is constantly telling them what to be and what not to be, it is important to teach kids to be themselves and love the way they are. Teach them not to compromise on who they are or what they believe in just because they don’t fit in someone’s definition of perfection. Being content with yourself from childhood can avoid a lot of problems they might face as an adult. It will also make them proud of their identity and their life, in general.
- Being Happy and Positive: Kids should know that life is not all roses and rainbows. Life is about both good and bad experiences. And what matters is the way they carry themselves during the different situations of life. Encourage kids to remain positive and happy no matter what happens. This is going to make them less hassled, more optimistic, have better health and suffer less depression when compared to others.
- Value Relationships: In a world which is becoming more and more aloof and segregated, it is important to teach kids the value of relationships. It is essential to make them realize the importance of friends and family, things which they might take for granted.
These habits will ensure that your child leads a healthy and happy life. Teaching these and other good habits to kids can be a little tricky but it can be made easier, if you lead by example. Practice what you preach, and see the kids following your footsteps. Kids are like sponges and they absorb everything that happens around them, they will imitate you, so it is important to set up a good example.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community.
This blog was originally published on Indian Moms Community.